Monday, June 1, 2009

Old School Photoshop, Super Smart Kids, Killer Plants, Etc.






 
My mom got a copy machine when I was very little and I was really into what could be done with it. It was a sort of early form of Photoshop. I dug out the Encyclopedia Britannia and looked around for images that I liked and made this first image here. I remember being really picky in a way that I still am about picking out the images, hoping that they would convey who I was and my creativity in the right way. I had those kind of concerns way too young, or perhaps all kids are that self conscience? I really liked and still like the idea of exploration, especially with a little added morbidness. 

I just recently found this book at Borders- "The Mysterious Benedict Society." It really reminds me of how I really wanted to be special, different, and smarter then all the other kids I knew when I was little. This book is perfect for that kid and the adult that grew up from that. I convinced my mom to buy this book "Wicked Plants" partly out of interest in the unusual and sometimes dangerous capabilties of plants and partly because the cover is so radical. Then I read a section in "The Mysterious Benedict Society" where the children come upon a trap that involves a botanical solution to hiding a pit. I love that coincidence. I feel like all these things are part of an unexplainable desire to have knowledge and style in a American greco-roman classically influenced Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin way. I think that's what the last image, a page from a journal, is about. The pursuit of knowledge and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment